Saturday, September 27, 2008

Banana Bread

Our family dog Shadow recently passed away. He was 13 years old and lived a great life. However, that doesn't make it any easier. We all loved him and he was a member of our family. So I decided to make a Banana Bread for my parents and mail it up to them. However, my first attempt failed miserably. I used a recipe from Joy of Cooking and it came out terribly. Maybe it was because I used frozen bananas? Either way, my second attempt: I went to my tried and true Martha Stewart for a recipe. This one came out great!

Comforting Banana Bread
from Martha Stewart Living

Ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and beat to incorporate. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; mix to combine. Stir in nuts, and pour into prepared pan. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.

No comments: