Sunday, November 2, 2008

Butternut Squash Risotto

I know, I know... I said I would cut back on Martha Stewart recipes- but I just couldn't help myself! Tony and I wanted risotto for dinner and I had leftover squash from the dinner I made earlier this week... so I just happened to already have a Butternut squash risotto recipe on hand from Martha- perfect solution! This was a nice alternative to basic risotto- the squash makes the dish even creamier and flavorful. Another simple and tasty Fall dinner (if you can't tell I love my autumnal vegetables!)




Ingredients
Serves 4 to 6 (I cut the recipe in half to serve two)

1 medium butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces)
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 shallots, minced
2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
Freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, plus sprigs for garnish
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

Steam squash for 10 to 15 minutes and then mash lightly. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat stock to a simmer. In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add oil and shallots; cook for 2 minutes. Add rice; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add wine to rice, and cook, stirring, until wine is nearly absorbed. Stir in a cup of stock and the squash. Cook at a steady simmer until liquid is nearly absorbed. Continue stirring in stock, a ladleful at a time, until rice is creamy and firm but not hard in the center, 15 to 20 minutes. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste. Add chopped rosemary. Stir in remaining butter and most of the Parmesan. Serve immediately in shallow bowls garnished with the remaining cheese and rosemary sprigs. Serve with crusty french bread and a fruity red wine (we opened a bottle of Sterling Vintner's Collection Cabernet Sauvignon). Enjoy!

No comments: