Friday, January 18, 2008

Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts and Pine Nuts

adapted from Epicurious.com

Ok, back to cooking food instead of just eating it! This recipe looked so good and it tasted exactly how sounds- simple and delicious. It’s a perfect dish to make on a weeknight (as I did). The most labor intensive part is preparing the sprouts (which Tony actually did for me before I got home!). The dish can be a little dry, so you have to keep adding the reserved pasta-cooking water to taste. Next time I might add some chicken or even some pesto. The best part about this recipe was how easy the pine nuts browned- whenever I make something with pine nuts (which I love) it usually involves toasting them first and I inevitably always end up burning them. This recipe was fool proof!

Ingredients

3/4 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed (I used one package of sprouts)
1/2 pound dried egg fettuccine (I used two servings of whole wheat fettuccine)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons pine nuts
grated Parmigiano-Reggiano


Directions

Chop Brussels sprouts into quarters. Cook fettuccine in a pasta pot of boiling salted water until al dente.


Meanwhile, heat butter and oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until foam subsides, then cook pine nuts, stirring, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, then sauté over medium-high heat until tender and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.

Reserve 1/2 cup pasta-cooking water, then drain pasta and add to skillet, tossing with enough reserved water to moisten. Serve with grated parm.

No comments: