Friday, July 25, 2008

Classic Apple Pie

That’s why my friend Jackie requested when I asked her what I should make to bring to her birthday BBQ. So I did! It came out really great- particularly the top. I am usually a lattice-style pie girl, but I am glad I decided to go with a closed top pie with this one because the dough fell perfectly into the apples beneath and created this rippled, lumpy, delicious look! Served with vanilla ice cream, you can’t go wrong!

Old Fashioned Apple Pie

Martha Stewart Living (November/December 1991)


Ingredients

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
Pie Dough (I used store bought- two deep dish pie crusts)
12 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (I used 9 apples)
3/4 cup sugar, plus additional for pie top
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves (I omitted b/c I didn’t have any!)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large egg, beaten


Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine apples, sugar, lemon zest and juice, spices, and flour. Toss well. Spoon apples into pie pan. Dot with butter, and cover with remaining pie crust. Cut several steam vents across top. Seal by crimping edges as desired. Brush with beaten egg, and sprinkle with additional sugar. Bake until crust is brown and juices are bubbling, about 1 hour. Let cool on wire rack before serving.

No comments: