Friday, July 25, 2008

Mango Oatmeal

I recently ordered the most amazing thing for breakfast- mango oatmeal. I couldn’t resist the description on the menu and the dish fully lived up to all of my expectations. I have developed a strong love for oatmeal over the years and this was a take on the oats that I never considered. I’ve been dreaming of it ever since… So, when Tony brought home a canister of steel cut oats AND a jar of mangoes from Trader Joe’s I knew exactly what to do! I’ve never made steel cut oatmeal before so that was a challenge. I am a fan of Quaker Oats Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (and believe me, I’ve tried many brands). For my first try I think the oats came out well. However, I did burn the bottom of the pot so I lost a good portion of the oats… Steel cut oatmeal takes A LOT longer than regular oats. I usually make my Quaker Oats in the microwave for 1 minute and 33 seconds (exactly) plus a half cup of water. Simple. Steel cut oats are very demanding and require a lot of attention and stirring (lest they burn!). The result is definitely worth it- but it’s a commitment.

I didn’t follow any particular recipe- I just added a number of ingredients to taste.

I started with a ½ cup of steel cut oats and cooked them on the stove following the directions on the can. Once cooked, I added pieces of mango and cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Perfect!


No comments: